This is an independent blog and is not affiliated with any particular church, group or conference. The term Bruderthaler refers to a specific ethnic or cultural Mennonite heritage, not to any particular organized group. All statements and opinions are solely those of the contributor(s). Blog comprises notebook fragments from various research projects and discussions. Dialogue, comment and notice of corrections are welcomed. Much of this content is related to papers and presentations that might be compiled at a future date, as such, this blog serves as a research archive rather than as a publication. 'tag

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Amina Saïd Sentiers de lumière


Amina Said, court. Africa Center for the Creative Ar
A franco-phone poet from Tunisia could easily have written of the Martyrs' Trek:

Amina Saïd

Tunis, Tunisia (1953)

(English trans Mary Ann Caws (following))



Sentiers de lumière

(extraits)

j’ai dormi trois siècles sur un lit de rochers
j’ai vu des choses oubliées des homes
j’ai mesuré la distance qui sépare le ciel de la terre
j’ai lu les lignes de la main j’ai rendu les oracles
une voix qui n’était pas la mienne a parlé par ma bouche
j’ai disparu dans une ville elle-même disparue
des cavaliers en armes ont envahi nos plaines
nous sommes restés dans l’attente d’autres barbares
la mer s’est retiree des porte de ma ville
je me suis concilié les fleuves de la terre
j’ai orné le jour du tatouage de mes rêves
mon visage a vu mon autre visage
je n’ai pas entendu la voix qui m’appelait
la main qui me cherchait ne m’a pas trouvée
je suis née plusieurs fois de chaque étoile
je suis morte autant de fois du soleil des jours
j’ai pris très tôt des bateaux pour nulle part
j’ai demandé une chamber dans la patrie des autres
je n’avais rien accompli avant nos adieux
j’ai habité le couchant le levant et l’espace du vent
j’étais cette étrangère qu’accompagnait le soir
deux fois étrangèreentre nord et sud
j’ai gravé des oiseaux tristes sur des pierres grises
j’ai dessiné des tentes où n’était nuls deserts
des caravans m’ont conduit vers un rêve d’orient
mes calligraphies ont voyagé sur le dos des nuages
je me suis souvenue de la neige des amandiers
j’ai suivi la route aérienne des oiseaux
jusqu’au mont de la lune aux duvets des naissances
j’ai appris et oublié toutes les langues de la terre
j’ai fait un grand feu de toutes les patries
j’ai bu quelques soirs au flacon de l’oubli
j’ai cherché mon étoile dans le lit des étoiles
j’ai gardé ton amour au creux de ma paume
j’ai tissé un tapis avec la laine du souvenir
j’ai déplé le monde sous l’arche des commencements
j’ai pansé les plaies du crepuscule
j’ai mis en gerbes mes saisons pour les offrir à la vie
j’ai compté les arbes qui me séparent de toi
nous étions deux sur cette terre nous voilà seuls
j’ai serré une ceinture de mots autour de ma taille
j’ai recouvert d’un linceul l’illusion des miroirs
j’ai cultivé le silence comme une plante rare
lueur après lueur j’ai déchiffré la nuit
la mort un temps m’a courtisée
                   
j’ai fait mes premiers pas dans le limon des fleuves
on m’a ensablée vive sous un amas de dunes
on a obstrué la caverne – que mon someil s’éternise
on a exile mon corps à l’intérieur de mon corps
on a efface mon nom de tous les registres
jusqu’aux épousailles des deux rives
j’ai porté en moi le vide comme la bouche d’un noyé
décembre a disparu derrière l’horizon
j’ai appelé – seul le silence “etait attentive
j’ai vu les siècles s’égarer jusqu’à nous
le grenadier refleurissait entre les steles
ma ville changeait de maîtres comme de parure
ma terre:  un nuage en marge du levant
pourquoi chercher un lieu quand nous sommes le lieu
mon ombre a gravi un long chemin jusqu’à moi
un jour je soui entrée dans la maison de la langue
j’ai niché deux oiseaux à la place de Coeur
j’ai traverse le miroir du poème et il m’a traversée
je me suis fiée à l’éclair de la parole
j’ai depose un amour insoumis dans le printempts des arbres
et deliver mes mains pour que s’envolent les colombes.

Mennonites in Mexico, unattributed


Paths of Light
I’ve slept three centuries on a bed of rocks
I’ve seen things men have forgotten
I’ve measured the distance between sky and earth
I’ve read the lines on a hand I’ve delivered oracles
a voice not mine has spoken by my mouth
I’ve disappeared in a town itself disappeared
armed horsemen have invaded our plains
we remained awaiting more barbarians
the sea has withdrawn from the doors of my town
I’ve reconciled myself to the streams of the earth
I’ve decorated the day with the tattoos of my dreams
my face has seen my other face
I’ve not heard the voice calling me
the hand seeking me hasn’t found me
I’ve been born several times from each star
I’ve died as often from the sun of days
I’ve taken early boats to nowhere
I’ve asked for a room in another’s homeland
I’d accomplished nothing before our farewells
I’ve lived in the sunset the sunrise and the space of winds
I was this stranger accompanied by the evening
twice a stranger between north and south
I’ve engraved sad birds on gray stones
I’ve drawn these stones and lived in them
I’ve constructed rafts where there were no oceans
I’ve raised tents where there were no deserts
caravans have led me toward an eastern dream
my calligraphies have traveled on the back of clouds
I remembered the snow of almond trees
I’ve followed the airy path of birds
up to the lunar mount at the eiderdowns of births
I’ve learned and forgotten all the languages of earth
I’ve made a great fire of all homelands
I’ve drunk on some evenings at the flask of forgetting
I’ve sought my star in the bed of stars
I’ve kept your love in the hollow of my palm
I’ve woven a carpet with the wool of memory
I’ve unfolded the world under the arch of beginnings
I’ve bandaged the twilight’s wounds
I’ve put my seasons in sheaves to offer them to life
I’ve counted the trees separating you from me
we were two on this earth we there alone
I have tightened a word belt around my waist
covered with a winding sheet the illusion of mirrors
cultivated silence like a rare plant
gleam after gleam I have deciphered the night
death has courted me for a time
               
I took my first steps in the river loam
they buried me living under a heap of sand
they closed off the cave – that my sleep makes eternal
they exiled my body inside my own body
they struck my name from all the records
until the wedding of the two  banks
I’ve borne a gap in myself like a drowned man’s mouth
December has disappeared behind the horizon
I’ve called – only silence paid any heed
I’ve seen the centuries lost before ours
The pomegranate tree reflowered among the tombstones
My town was changing leaders and my earth
Its ornament:  a cloud at the side of the sunrise
Why seek a place when we are the place
My shadow has climbed a long path toward me
One day I entered the house of language
I’ve set two bird in the place of my heart
I’ve crossed the mirror of the poem and it has crossed me
I’ve entrusted myself to the flash of the word
I’ve set down a rebellious love in the springtime of trees
And freed my hands so the doves would fly off.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mennonite Culture

606 agriculture AIMM Alcohol Alt-Oldenburger Amish Amish Prayer Amish voyeurism Anniversary of Russian Mennonites Architecture Archives Athletes Baptism Bess und Bettag Bible Study Bluffton College BMC Bob Jones University Bruderthaler Burial Customs Camp Funston Canadian Government Catherine the Great CCC Chaco Civil Rights Colonist Horse Congo Inland Mission Conscientious Objectors Consensus Cultural Criticism Death decals Definitions Dialogue diaspora Discipline Discrimination Divorce Drama Drugs Easter Emergent Church Movement ethnic violence Ethnicity Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Evangelical Mennonites Evangelicals exile Famine Fastpa folk art Footwashing Frente Menonita Front for the Defense of the Mennonite Colonies Furor mennoniticus Gardens gay Gay Marriage Gelassenheit Gemeinshaft Gender Studies General Conference German German Bible Gnadenfelde Goshen School Grace School grief Halodomar hate crimes Heirloom Seeds HMS Titanic Holocaust Holy Kiss Horses Hymns Identity Formation identity politics Immigration Immigration Song Inquisition Inter-faith Mennonites Jewish Diaspora Kairos Kleine Gemeinde Krimmer Mennonites Language LGBT Lustre Synthesis Lutheran and Mennonite Relations Magistracy Marriage Martyrs' Mirror MC-USA MCC Kits Mennonite Brethren Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) Mennonite Decals Mennonite Diaspora Mennonite farming innovations Mennonite Flag Mennonite Heritage Plants Mennonite Horse Mennonite Identity Mennonite Literature Mennonite Refugees Mennonite Women Missions Molotschna Cattle Breed Movies Music Non-resistance Pacifism photography Pietism Plautdietsch Flag Plautdietsche Poetry Politics Postmodernism quilts Radio refugees Rites Roman Catholic and Mennonite Relations Roman Catholicism Russian Mennonite Flag Russian Mennonites Russian Orthodox Church secularism Shunning Southern Baptists Taxation Television Ten Thousand Villages Terms Viki-leaks Water Dowsing Wenger Mennonites Women's Studies World War 2 World War I

People

A. F. Wiens (1) A. H. Leahman (1) A. J. Wall (1) Abraham Gerber (1) Abram Groening (1) Adam Carroll (2) AIMM (3) Albert Wall (7) Allison Mack (1) Anne-Marie Goertzen Wall (1) Annie C. Funk (1) Aron Wall (1) B. F. Hamilton (1) Benjamin Mubenga (1) Benjamin Sprunger (1) Bernhard Dueck Kornelssen (1) Berry Friesen (1) Bitter Poets (3) Bob Jones University (2) Brandon Beachy (1) Brendan Fehr (1) Bruce Hiebert (1) C. Henry Niebuhr (1) C. R. Voth (1) Calvin Redekop (3) Carolyn Fauth (3) CBC News (1) Charles King (1) Chris Goertzen (1) Connie Mack (1) Corrie ten Boom (1) Dale Suderman (2) Daniel Friesen (1) Danny Klassen (1) David Classen (1) Dennis Wideman (1) Diane Driedger (3) Dick Lehman (1) Donald Kraybill (1) Donald Plett (1) Dora Dueck (1) Dustin Penner (1) Dwaine and Nancy Wall (1) Edna Ruth Byler (1) Eduard Wust (1) Elliott Tapaha (1) Elvina Martens (1) Eric Fehr (1) Esther K. Augsburger (1) Ethel Wall (1) Frente Menonita (1) Fritz and Alice Wall Unger (1) Gbowee (1) Georg Hansen (1) George P. Schultz (3) George S. Rempel (1) George Schultz (1) Gordon C. Eby (1) Goshen College (4) Gus Stoews (1) H. C. Wenger (1) H. F. Epp (1) Harold S. Bender (1) Heidi Wall Burns (2) Helen Wells Quintela (1) Henry Epp (1) Henry Toews (1) Ian Buruna (1) Isaac Peters (6) J. C. Wall (3) J. T. Neufeld (2) Jakob Stucky (1) James Duerksen (1) James Reimer (1) Jason Behr (1) Jeff Wall (1) Jim Kuebelbeck (1) Joetta Schlabach (2) Johann F. Kroeker (1) John Howard Yoder (1) John Jacob Wall (1) John R. Dick (1) John Rempel (1) John Roth (1) Jonathan Groff (1) Jonathan Toews (2) Jordi Ruiz Cirera (1) Kathleen Norris (4) Kelly Hofer (3) Kevin Goertzen (1) Keystone Pipeline (3) Leymah Gbowee (1) Linda May Shirley (1) Lionel Shriver (1) Lorraine Kathleen Fehr (2) Margarita Teichroeb (1) Marlys Wiens (2) Martin Fast (1) Matt Groening (2) Melvin D. Epp (1) Menno Simons (3) Micah Rauch (1) Michael Funk (1) Moody Bible Institute (2) Nancy Wall (4) Norma Jost Voth (1) O. J. Wall (2) Orlando J. Wall (3) Patrick Friesen (4) Peter Wall (1) Philip Landis (1) Phillip Jakob Spener (1) Rachael Traeholt (2) Randy Smart (3) Rhoda Janzen (1) Rob Nicholson (2) Robin Martins (1) Robyn Regehr (1) Roger Williams (1) Rosella Toews (1) Ruth Lederach (1) Sam Mullet (3) Sam Schmidt (1) Scot McKnight (1) Stacey Loewen (2) Stanley Hauerwas (2) Steven Wall (6) Susan Mark Landis (1) Taylor Kinney (1) Tom Airey (2) Victor Toews (4)